With Autumn just beginning, your fireplace likely isn’t the first thing on your mind. But as the weather cools down and warm days turn into crisp nights, you’ll be eagerly anticipating getting cozy beside your fireplace. Don’t wait to prepare your fireplace until cold season hits! Instead, check out our fireplace preparation and safety tips to be ready for anything this season.
- Keep it clear. While your fireplace was out of use, it’s likely that everyday items such as books, furniture, newspapers, blankets or toys have piled up nearby. Make sure that as fireplace season approaches, you become aware of these combustibles and keep them the required distance away according to your particular unit.
Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. By installing fireplaces, inserts and stoves, people are intentionally putting fires in their home – but it’s important to protect your household from any potential dangers that come with having heating appliances. Make sure you replace any existing batteries and test your detectors to ensure they’re working properly.
- Let it cool down. Heating appliances reach extremely high temperatures while operating and can take several hours to cool down. Allow your fireplace sufficient time to cool before adjusting logs, tampering or leaving it unsupervised.
- Burn dry wood. Since damp wood typically creates more smoke than dry wood, it creates creosote at a much faster rate. Wood that has been cured is recommended.
- Fire it up. Now is a great time to light your fireplace and test your pilot light to see if it’s working. For safety tips on relighting your gas fireplace, click here.
Don’t forget about your annual maintenance. It’s important to schedule a fireplace service appointment on a yearly basis to see to it that your fireplace is ready for action. At Fireplace Stone & Patio, we do the following as necessary during a Fireplace Service Call:
- Light the pilot light
- Check & clean the burner
- Adjust the ignition
- Inspect & clean the glass front
- Replace embers
- Inspect fireplace accessories, gas line, venting, & electrical
- Clean & adjust log placement
Here at Fireplace Stone & Patio, we make our customer’s safety our top priority. Whether it’s installing a fireplace or maintaining it, we want to do everything in our power to to turn your house into a home. Excited for the fall months ahead? Be safe and get your fireplace checked out by scheduling your appointment today.
Related: Also be sure to check out our blog “Top 10 Wood Burning Tips!”