With Christmas clean-up, it may seem harmless to toss crumpled up wrapping paper into the fireplace. After all, it is a fast and simple way to get rid of it. But doing so is more dangerous that you might think!
When wrapping gifts to place beneath the tree, you’ve probably noticed that the paper feels quite different from regular paper. The colors are also different and often have glitter or metallic-looking stripes as design elements.
Many of the inks used in these elements contain metals that can give off toxic fumes when burned. Additionally, the paper burns so quickly that it runs the risk of flames entering the chimney and igniting creosote deposits in the flue – causing a chimney fire.
While burning wrapping paper in the fireplace is a major problem, it’s not the only item to avoid throwing into the fire. It’s important to note that homeowners should not use their fireplace to burn anything other than the fuel recommended by the manufacturer.
Other items to stop burning in your fireplace:
- Newspapers and magazines
- Painted, stained or treated wood
- Disposable cups, plates and silverware
- Coal or charcoal
- Christmas tree
- Evergreen decorations